We have compiled a list of some great New Year’s Resolution ideas for your dogs. These ideas are sure to strengthen your bond with your dog and are a ton of fun!
1: Ditch the food bowl.
Having our dogs work for their food provides mental stimulation and strengthens their problem solving skills. Having them work for meals provides an excellent outlet to satisfy their need to scavenge.
- Train for Meals – Try having your dog work for their food while practicing their obedience skills. Having your dog work for meals can help reduce unwanted behaviors, such as: barking, hyperactivity, and eating too quickly.
- Snuffle Mats – Snuffle mats are homemade toys that encourage foraging for meals. They are usually square and made with fleece material. Fabric is woven through a sturdy backing. They also help slow your dog down at meal time.
- Puzzle Toys – Puzzle toys are tons of fun! There are so many different toys to choose from. Our personal favorites are KONGs and Nina Ottosan interactive toys.
2. Walk your dog daily.
Daily walks are beneficial for both human and dog! Walking helps decrease stress, anxiety, and boredom.
- Physical Exercise – Daily walks allow our dogs to get their energy out. They also provide a great opportunity to practice your dog’s leash walking skills.
- Sniffari’s – Try taking your dog for a casual stroll and allow them to sniff their surroundings. Dogs’ strongest sense is their sense of smell. Sniffaris provide excellent mental stimulation and allow your dog to take in tons of new information about their environment.
- Change the Route – Keep things interesting. Changing the route of your walk allows your dog to have new and novel experiences.
3. Try a new activity.
Try making it a goal to do new things with your dog this year. You may find that they have a hidden talent or really enjoy a certain activity.
- Dog Sports – Dogs are capable of doing amazing things. Dog sports are a great way to advance your dog’s training and a fun way to bond. There’s a sport for every dog ranging from scent work to agility!
- Hiking – Hiking is an inexpensive stress free activity. It’s a natural way to bond with your dog and allows both dog and human to experience new sights. Your dog is sure to enjoy the adventure.
- Teach a New Trick – You can, in fact, teach an old dog a new trick! Trick training is great for dogs of all ages, as anything can be a trick! You can teach something as simple as shake or as complex as fetching you a drink from the refrigerator! There are endless possibilities with trick training.
4. Play more!
So often we forget to take time to just play with our dogs and engage in activities that they enjoy. Playing with our dogs will result in a much happier pet.
- Fetch – Fetch is a classic game to play. It’s an easy way to quickly tire our dogs out. Playing fetch can help build a better and stronger bond with your dog.
- Flirt Pole – Flirt poles are tons of fun! Flirt poles are exercise equipment that encourage your dog to chase a lure. Dogs love to chase and engage with them by using their natural prey drive. You can easily make your own at home by attaching a toy to the end of a horse lunge whip. Dogs love chasing them!
- Tug – Tug can be a very high value game for dogs. It can be intense exercise and can help increase your dogs impulse control. Be sure to let your dog win, as winning a game of tug can even increase your dog’s confidence!
Training provides an excellent chance to bond with your dog and create a well mannered pet. Daily training can help reduce problematic and destructive behaviors. Training allows for mental stimulation, physical exercise, and fun! Short and frequent daily training sessions can make a huge difference in your pet’s manners and behavior! You can also take a class or fun workshop at our facility! It’s sure to be enjoyable for both you and your dog!